Oxidative Stress Test
Do You Know Your Oxidative Stress Level Before Doing Oxidative Stress test ?
OXIDATIVE STRESS:- Oxidative stress(OS) is a general term used to describe the
steady state level of oxidative damage in a cell, tissue, or organ, caused by the
reactive oxygen species(ROS). It is caused by disturbance in the balance
between the production of reative oxygen species ( free radicals ) and
It is a pathological condition triggered by the damagibg action on the cells and tissues of the body of abnormally increased amounts of free radicals It is now recognized to be a prominent feature of many many acute and chronic diseases and even of the normal aging process.
Causes of Oxidative stress :-
Oxidative stress is not, however, simply a natural result of getting older that we just have to accept. It is multifactorial like stress, fast food, air pollution, excessive exercise, smoking.
What are the causes responsible for a reduced antioxidant defense ?
A reduced effectiveness of such a system is substantially a scribable to an absolute or relative deficiency of antioxidants, independently of the involved mechanism.
What does increased oxidative stress leads to?
• Like an iron gets rusted and damaged due to excess wind and moisture, our body cells also get damaged by the oxidants present in our body
• Free radicals leads to damage to nucleic acid bases, lipids, and proteins, which form the cell .their damage can severely compromise cell health and viability or through generation of secondary reactive species, ultimately leading to cell death by necrosis or apoptosis. If unchecked, can theoretically contribute to disease development Oxidative stress is linked to either the primary or secondary pathophysiologic mechanisms of multiple acute and chronic human diseases.
How does the oxidative stress clinically appear?
The Oxidative stress, being a merely biochemical condition, generally doesn’t
exhibit any specific clinical symptoms nor clinical signs.
Also, oxidative stress develops very slowly over along period of time, you might not even be aware it is happening to you.
Symptoms that could be signs of os include:
• Fatigue, chronic aches pains, brain fog or an ongoing feeling of being generally unwell.
• Abnormally high blood sugar, CRP or cholesterol levels in blood tests.
• Evidence of inflammation in the body in your regular lab work.
• Unexplained abdominal weight gain.
• Chronic digestive issues.
• Significant changes in vision or evidence of Macular degeneration , cataracts or early glaucoma.
• Signs of kidney stress
• Diabetes or pre-diabetes
• High blood pressure.
• Sleep apnea
• Hives, allergies
Therefore it will remain unknown, with unavoidable damage to the patient, until the clinician suspects its existence and decides to perform on the patient specific biochemical tests.
How Does Oxidative stress affect your health ?
• When oxidative stress occurs, it is harder for your body to bounce back from stress.
• Injuries heal more slowly, infections become more likely, and further disruption in the balance of hormones and immune function results.
• That’s simply because your cells won’t be as healthy when oxidative stress is high, and the mitochondria that produce energy inside your cells won’t be able to do their job well.
• So you are likely to feel tired, achy, worn out and just not himself.
Why Should I get my oxidative stress level checked ?
Why is this so important? Because oxidative stress is now related to more than 250 chronic degenerative diseases, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and many more.
How can you measure oxidative stress?
There are few ways available :
1) Blood test: They measure the Enzymes responsible for scavenging free radicals and hence are surrogate markers. They are very expensive to perform and results are temp and time sensitive.
2) Urine test: These measure the free radicals in urine. These are semi quantitative tests an results vary according to the water intake and last time urine void.
3) Breath test : This is new technology which gives instant value. They measure all the free radicals present in your breath which are a true representation of the blood levels. Just like breath alcohol test.
© 2017 Aradhana Test Tube Baby Center Bhopal